Why chatbots are the future of marketing? The 2000s can be clearly known as the era of Digital Marketing which paved the way for SEO and SMO. This was the time when the marketing tactics took a roll, from traditional methods it moved to digital marketing. It was discovered in the later years, in the year 2010 the industry saw social media platforms as an effective medium of marketing for the coming times.
This 21st century is now all about mobile marketing which has brought marketing right at a mere swipe on the screens of our smartphones. Customer Relations has gained significant importance in the past couple of years due to the customization of consumer-centric products and services.
Consumers prefer mobile marketing now more than any other platform since it provides the utmost convenience in gaining first-hand information relating to the products or services they may need.
Mobile Marketing is a fairly new medium for digital marketing purpose which tends to target specific audiences through reaching out to them on their Smartphones. It can be done through SMS marketing, Email marketing, social media marketing or through other applications available to the consumers on their digital devices. Large number of audiences can be instantly connected with the help of this new idea of marketing and the marketers can strike instant one on one conversation with them in real-time as well. For this purpose,
Chatbots are a fairly common tool which marketers are making use of in mobile marketing. This paper is aimed at gauging the effectiveness of Chatbots as an effective medium of marketing for the future.
What are Chatbots?
Chatbots, emphasis upon the term “bots”, it is an automated response generated through Natural Language Processing and the use of Artificial Intelligence by making use of an effective interface through social media or through email or any other mobile application.
The application in use basically generated and automated conversational interface for the customers to interact with companies relating to their product offerings and other services. Over the time period, the majority of Chatbots are making use of Artificial Intelligence to gain an understanding of the Customer Responses, their frequent requests, general reactions and their mode of interactions.
The use of AI (Artificial Intelligence) has only enabled marketers to make the entire process more effective. This is an entirely new concept in the field of marketing and therefore it still has some room for innovations and future developments.
Currently, marketers make use of Chatbots through a set of guidelines controlled and overseen by a human through a robot building platform altogether.
It is simple, it is like setting a specific code for software and then programming it as per your own needs, similar is the case with these Chatbots, there are programmed responses to frequently asked questions by the customers and they can be generated as the program is able to identify common phrases of words that may be sent in the requests.
Every single company which aims to reach out to its customer in every possible manner has adopted new and advanced techniques of marketing so far, is going to be fully aware of the new waves which these Chatbots are making.
Multinational corporations have also made use of these bots to interact with their consumers to achieve greater sales growth, retain their loyal customer and to deliver better products or services to the end-users, etc. So far, the results achieved by the use of these Chatbots are extremely fruitful for the businesses. Companies are able to gain first-hand customer-related information through these bots and are converting it into valuable organizational outcomes altogether.
Each individual industry or field of work has some different kind of approach into making use of these Chatbots. Since they are contributing significantly to gaining a stronghold over the market into attracting audiences towards new products or services, every company is in need of incorporating these new advanced technologies in their day to day activities.
Smartphones are heavily used digital gadgets all around the world, almost every individual irrespective of their age groups owns a mobile phone. This has made fairly easier for marketers to reach out to their target audiences, all they are required to do is to choose the right platform which they assume is used by their targeted population. Initially these
Chatbots only made use of menu/button-based bots that were available on applications and websites, but now companies are adopting full-fledged AI Chatbots that has provided them with a vast array of options.
Chatbots are new to the field of digital marketing but the use of bots had been in the filed for a while now. It was in the year 1950 when Alan Turing had first published his research on Artificial Intelligence and the use of automated machinery. With the passage of time, as the field of technology had continually innovated and adopted new advancements, it had been able to contribute tremendously to the businesses worldwide in terms of sales growth.
Use of Chatbot Scripts
Chatbot Scripts are mainly the automated responses that are recorded as a possible reply to the customer’s online queries and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions). Depending on certain features like the personal preference of the users or their intentions, a set of options are provided to the customers on these Chatbots.
The Chatbots scripts hold immense significance in driving the audiences towards the specific marketing platform. It is dependent upon how it is devised, what critical features are incorporated into the script, in order to translate it into achieving positive organizational outcomes in the long-term.
Following are a few recommendations on how to keep the conversational scripts precise and apt for the success of the organization:
- Try not to adopt a “Robotic” tone
- The user must be able to relate with the responses
- Be as natural as possible
- Keep the response short and to-the-point
- Align the responses with the ultimate business goal
The Chatbots script is a highly significant element for implementing this effective technology into use for marketing purposes. It is important that the Script adheres with the business goals in order to connect its outcomes with the organizational growth accordingly. The design of the script is also dependent upon the relevant type of the Chatbots which the company aims at using to accomplish its goals.
Types of Chatbots
There are different kinds of Chatbots available for catering each business needs and requirements in the most effective manner. Some businesses require a simple chatbot whereas some may demand a rather complex chatbot to meet the goals and targets in the long-term. Following are a few kinds of Chatbots that are being used by companies worldwide:
1. Menu-Based Chatbot: This is a very common kind of a chatbot which is mainly used to cater to presale queries and multiple FAQs for online stores either on a website or on social media. As the name suggests, when a customer posts a query, the bot generates a menu of options to choose from. This also helps in generating hierarchical data from the chatbot customer responses for future use as well.
The above image is of a restaurant which takes order online through social media application. As the customer had posted his query, the bot-generated some options to choose from and the conversation will carry out based upon the preference of the customer only.
This is considered to be a highly effective tool for navigating the users through the online website or the online store to make purchases and gain an understanding of the products or service offerings which the company is giving at the moment.
This is effective only when there are a limited number of variables involved because it has proved to be ineffective when there is the use of multiple complex variables.
2. Keywords Based Chatbot: These are the more complex nature Chatbots which make use of Artificial Intelligence by identifying the keywords in the customer queries.
Once these keywords are identified, the bot is able to answer it as per the coded responses for each individual keyword. It can be related to the technique being used with Search Engine Optimization where the keywords are identified and then the query is being catered accordingly.
This kind of bot is considered to be the most effective as it only provides standard replies to the keywords identified in the content. There are extremely specific and to-the-point for the easy understanding of the users. The only disadvantage which it carries is its inability to catch misspellings as it is entirely programmed upon specific keywords which enable it to generate specific information accordingly as per the user’s requirement.
3. Natural Language Processing Chatbot: These are the most technical and machine-centric Chatbots which have been gaining stronger grounds over the entire digital industry. These Chatbots make use of superior Artificial Intelligence and innovative Machine Learning.
Natural Language Processing Chatbots have a rather complex infrastructure but it is so far the most effective in enhancing customer engagement and improving Customer Relationship Management.
These Chatbots are also highly contextual in nature as the keywords based chatbot but it is also high data-centric during the interactions with the customers. Unlike the keywords based chatbots these are able to identify misspellings and are also able to provide an effective customer experience.
In the above chatbot, it can be seen that the bot is able to interact with the user as it is able to identify misspellings, trying to create a natural conversation and also making an effort to keep the chat going. This has a customer-centric approach which appeals to them as they seem to believe that there is a real person sitting on the other end, which may be willing to hear them out and meet their needs and requirements more effectively.
To sum it up, Natural Language Processing Chatbots are the most effective in gaining positive responses from the customers. Majority of the service providers tend to make use of this chatbot as it happens to give them a much wholesome and complete user experience at the end.
This is what the companies are looking for, to get the customers to engage with them in order to attract them to their offering in the long-tern. The competition has intensified in almost every single industry all over the world and it is due to these technological advancements that have enabled them to reach out to their clients in all corners of the world.
It is of utmost significance that the companies do adopt all these new kinds of technological innovations into their business operations in order to stay ahead and stay in demand in the marketplace.
Chatbots changing the face of Digital Marketing
This is the era of robotics and this is one of the many reasons as to why the idea of chatbots has also taken over the market so rapidly. The ease and convenience which these automated applications are providing to the business are immeasurable.
Chatbots are being used by every single business but there is one significant industry that has been faced with a boom over the past few years and that is online shopping or E-commerce.
Online shopping is being preferred by every single person, irrespective of which age group they belong to, everyone prefers to just buy things off the Internet rather than going out and getting into the hassle of choosing, picking and then standing in queues for payments.
Everything is getting automated and thanks to the field of robotics, there is a lesser utilization of human efforts as the modern machinery is taking its grip into the marketplace.
The common problems which the customers are faced with frequently in their online shopping experiences, Chatbots are the ultimate solution to all those problems. The people are able to convey their issues and their problems instantly and due to these programmed chatbots, the company is also able to be attentive to each individual customer for their own needs and demands collectively.
Following are a few ways in which the Chatbots are able to facilitate the online presence of businesses worldwide:
- These chatbots have changed the entire process of CRM for businesses all around the world. They are not only able to provide some more simplified user experiences but they are also able to establish such unique yet innovative Customer Relations which will last for a very long time.
- It is evident that there is no business without customers. Customers are the driving force for any successful business in the world, therefore, businesses are incorporating these chatbots to facilitate their customers in every manner. These businesses wish to be there for their customer 24/7 and they do not want their queries to be overlooked no matter how big or small their issue is. Companies are now making chatbots a significant factor in their business strategy to guide the goals and targets as per the outcomes of this new advanced medium of technology.
- The use of smartphones, the continuous interaction with the digital world and the incorporation of artificial intelligence for every marketing purpose have literally changed the entire marketing dynamics. AI has contributed immensely towards driving the customers to the online stores by effectively identifying their needs and taking them to the exact space which would fulfill it by all means. It does get scary and startling for the customers at times when they see significant recommendations on their browsers when they haven’t even searched for it previously, this is how powerful AI is for marketing purposes.
- Those companies which feel that they are not doing that well on the customer interactions front they need to make use of these chatbots in order to reap its maximum benefits. Natural language processing has transformed the entire experience of chatbots as it almost makes them feel like they are interacting with real humans. The specific data stored with these chatbots is sufficient enough to fulfill the immediate needs and requirements of the customers approaching them for. The large databases and the power of AI have transformed the entire nature of marketing online. The responses can easily be tailored as per the customer’s individual traits which they would feel is best suited for any specific brand or product.
- This mode of marketing has enabled companies to reach out to hundreds and millions of customers in the most effective manner and the least time possible. For businesses who aim to target large audiences, they need to make use of these chatbots in order to create a strong connection with their loyal customers.
Evidently, Chatbots are here to stay and if companies want to reap maximum benefits out of this new technology, they need to adopt it as soon as possible. This new advanced technology is not only enabling the companies to reach out to their customers but it is also helping them develop strong and sustainable relationships with their loyal customers.