It is obvious that what is digital marketing was started with the develop-ment of technology. Hence the beginning of DM was at the start of 1971 when Ray Tomlison sent the first email and after that people started sending and receiving files through electronic means.
Well in the 1980s, companies use to store huge amounts of data in computers and then use a marketing medium like a database to track required information about customers.
The term digital marketing was first coined in the 1990s, as in this period new soft wares like eCRM (electronic customer relationship management) and search engines like Archie were created. This was the era when digital marketing was recognized.
In the 2000s, users started searching for their needs online rather than asking manually to retailers or salespersons. Although in this period, people were getting aware of different marketing strategies and also social media sites were getting into a trend like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter which were a cheap and easy medium of marketing.
However, in 2007 many marketing problems were solved because of automation marketing which was helping companies categorizing data and getting customer’s information rapidly. After 2013, online marketing got common and got a boost in growth. Digital marketing is also referring to web marketing, internal marketing or online marketing.
In the modern world, everyday new innovations are made in different fields, therefore, methods of marketing have been changed hence now it is an era of digital marketing. It is basically the promotion of a product or service through electronic means like the internet, mobiles, television and other digital technologies.
Table of Content
The technology has more changed in the last five years like never before, and in today’s world, we can observe many innovations which were beyond our expectations some years ago. Marketing trends that are popular now days are (SEM) Search Engine Marketing, in this kind of marketing ads are added to sites of search engines so whoever searches for particular information could see the visibility of ad and get attracted.
Another trend of advertisement is to pay for your ad and it will appear on the top or bottom or video. It is observed that now YouTube and Facebook are allowing video ads to get promoted on their platform and this is the market is making a big profit in it.
Well, people are also using all social media platforms for marketing whether it is Facebook, Instagram or YouTube and many influencers are getting paid to promote their product to their followers, and this form is advertisement is getting popular day by day.
Marketing trends are getting advance day by day. People are coming up with new ideas to attract customers like 3D screens are equipped in many places to enhance visibility.
Content marketing is also playing a role in digital marketing as many blogs, pictures and articles are useful for customers to get knowledge about particular stuff.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL MARKETING?
- Digital marketing saves your time like if we compare early ages so salesperson had to go individuals and had to print pamphlets but now you can upload ad on social media from any corner of the world and everyone can see it while on other hand buying and selling can also be done from any site to your home so it is now easy to promote your stuff.
- It is the cheapest mean of advertisement because at a minimum cost larger profit could be generated. Even small businesses can generate high profits and become big brands in the industry.
- By means of campaigns, surveys and rating system companies can measure profit margins easily which could help them generating perspective about particular products or services that whether people liked it or not.
- Digital marketing can hit target audience at greater level within limited resources like now a day’s companies search out consumer of particular product and then set marketing goals there, even nowadays filters are fitted in sites and application so that consumer can get too specific required product or service easily hence this technique is helping to generate more profits.
- One of the biggest advantages of online marketing is that no physical space is requiring setting up business. Many businesses yet don’t have any physical existence still sales and purchases are being done on a daily basis with a profit margin so anyone can be an entrepreneur.
- It is one of the effective types of marketing because consumers can clearly observe the specification of product or service so no ambiguity is remained.
- Now transactions are made in a different currency which is big ease for businesses to expand at an international level.
WHAT ARE DISADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL MARKETING?
There are some disadvantages of digital marketing which can affect your business like:
- There is a big chance of fraud through online sales and purchase because many times advance payment is made for service or product and after that defaulted things are dispatched or sometimes no delivery is made.
- It is also observed that often marketing strategies and campaign styles get copied easily and no one can even make any objections and if you have the same style and business-like others so there is no chance of getting good profit margin. There is global competition in online business.
- Digital marketing also allows everyone to give feedback directly which can turn out to be negative too, so owners have to face this phase patiently. Mainly people quit because of criticism. More often consumers make judgments on the first impression and if it does not turn out to be as expected so the target audience could get reduced.
- Investors get in trouble when they have to measure return on income because they even don’t know whether indicators they are using are accurate or not which can lead to financial loss.
- One of the major drawbacks of digital marketing is a dependency on an electronic medium. If company breakdown its electronic mean of business so there would be no other option instead of paying all cost to fix that medium which can be a big hit to business. Well, maintenance is mandatory in online business which is done on a weekly basis which is often costly because to avoid any kind of virus software is encrypted which is expensive.
- However, online running businesses are risky because websites can get hacked or other privacy problems can occur so it is difficult to secure digital marketing mediums.
- Conventional marketing is getting decline and near future might just get vanished because innovations digital marketing so cheap market like radio or newspapers are getting replaced with new gadgets which most of the people cannot afford now.
EXAMPLES OF DIGITAL MARKETING
Some of the examples of digital marketing are as follows:
Search Engine Optimization(SEO): In this kind of marketing, people use search engines and pages like on Google to upload material which can be organic or paid too. SEO is expanded on wider level like there are more categories like on-page SEO, off-page SEO, and technical SEO.
Content Marketing: This strategy is to promote awareness of the brand through written means like blogs, articles, and eBooks. This type of digital marketing can be at long or short term both and it also includes visual content like infographics for advertisement.
Social Media Marketing: Most popular and wider platform of digital marketing is through media as this is cheap and time-saving and it includes medium like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat, etc. Anyone can make account on these applications and run business pages.
Pay Per Click: Now a days this technique is being use mostly because it is an eye-catching type of marketing like companies pay for ads which in the form of pictures or video on different social media platforms and most common type is Google ads.
Affiliate Marketing: This type of digital marketing is based on influencers who are paid to promote their followers because they are already ideal for the public so their actions and wordings are affecting follower’s minds.
Automation Marketing: Well to capture the market, people are using software which is already fed with instruction of promoting a particular business to different enrolled people. This kind includes Email newsletters, campaign reporting, and tracking and electronic customer relationship management soft wares.
Email Marketing: In this technique of marketing, companies send different emails to subscribed people like welcoming email, ads email, job email or occasional emails like birthday, anniversary or any festival which is to maintain good gestures of the firm hence it is not that common now.
WHAT IS FUTURE OF DIGITAL MARKETING?
Day by day new innovations are made which are becoming means of marketing and in the near future, the market is going to run to double times. As it is predicted that voice reorganization level would get even better in personal devices while productivity will also get increased. Soon different already existing applications would be fitted with new features to make ease for people.
Probably a campaign of automated optimization will be created in the coming years in which retailers would be able to identify the best option to practice their business with an optimized audience, time and channels. This process will save time for buyers and sellers both.
The trend of marketing is changing and getting more flywheels in which client feedback is becoming a priority so that customers get satisfied and be loyal to the brand and also recommend others too.